Here is how to make dreadlocks fast
-The following is a tried and tested method on getting dreadlocks :
The Back Sweep Method
Also called the back combing method, it literally means to comb the hair in the opposite direction towards the scalp, so that the hair gets frizzier along the way. Here are the steps you would need to follow if you are making your own dreads. Though it would be reasonable to request a friend to assist you in this seemingly easy but rather exhausting task. If you do it alone there is a high possibility that the dreads on the back of your head will be ill formed. Follow these instructions step by step:
- Do not condition your hair for at least 7-10 days before the day you intend to get your dreadlocks done. This will ensure that your hair has lesser moisture or oiliness.
- Wash your hair with a non residue shampoo and then allow it to air dry.
- Once your hair is dry, part your hair into small sections, take as much hair as you would like, depending on how thick you wish your dreads to be. They will get fluffier over time, so be careful not to take too much hair per dread.
- Now take one section at a time, while you secure the rest of the free hair with a rubber band.
- Take the section and twist it real tight, or simply roll the section over your finger. Always tie the ends of the hair with a rubber band. Now slowly begin to comb your hair backwards towards your scalp from the tip of the hair.
- Now apply some dreadlocks wax or bee wax all over the section, this will ensure that the hair retains its twists.
- You will need to twist the section once more while massaging the wax into the hair section. Then secure the rubber band again.
- Avoid dread waxes which have petroleum in them, as they are meant to help give shine to already time tested dreads. Petroleum, causes new dreads to loosen out.
- Repeat this process with the rest of the hair sections. The entire procedure will take about 4 hours or so to complete, if you have shoulder length or longer hair.
Of course you could get neater dreads if you get them done from a professional. The fact being that this hairstyle unlike others is more permanent in nature. Therefore would it not be safer to seek professional help? They would be able to give unique designs on the scalp, while twisting the dreads with perfection. None the less if you do choose to dread your own hair, you need to make sure that your hair is long enough to be twisted even if they are relatively short. Hair that reaches till your nose would do just fine, and can be made into dreads easily. Though you will need to learn all about how to maintain dreadlocks properly. Apple cider vinegar mixed in
water works great in cleansing the scalp and keeping the dreads dust free. Also once your dreads are made, try not to wash your hair for another 10 days or so. If you can’t stand the grime or feel it’s getting too dirty, use a cotton swap or a sponge dipped in apple cider vinegar so as to clean the hair.
The back sweep combined with the twisting method works the best for making dreads at home, since it makes the job relatively easier. Your dreads will take a month or more to completely form, and you will need to wax them every time you begin to see loose strands or your twists begin to loosen out. Hopefully now you know how to make dreadlocks on your own.